Kerry London News

Important Update: Motor Insurance – Driving in the EU

Wednesday 1st May
Important Update: Motor Insurance – Driving in the EU

The EU and the UK have now agreed to extend the Brexit date to 31 October 2019 and this means that if you are travelling and will definitely return before 31st October 2019 you will not currently require a Green Card.

Until a withdrawal agreement is in place between the EU and the UK, Green Cards must still be issued for trips after and extending beyond 31 October 2019. This includes travel across the Northern Ireland / Republic of Ireland border and is required even if you have a foreign extension on your policy.

If both parties agree that the UK will leave the EU before 31 October 2019, and that agreement doesn’t provide for continuation of the current arrangements, Green Cards may be required for EU travel before 31 October 2019.

We appreciate that there is still a lot of uncertainty around this but we will keep you abreast of developments and are here to help you if you have any questions.

To remind you:

  • A Green Card is a physical document evidencing that you have the necessary third-party insurance cover in force for driving in the above countries.
  • The physical document is necessary as digital copies are not accepted. If you arrive at the border without the physical Green Card you will not be allowed to drive in that country.
  • If you have a trailer weighing over 750kg this must also be registered before towing it abroad after 31st October 2019 and it will also need a Green Card.

Categories: Uncategorised,